Our Historic Neighbor:|
The 1815 Garland House, 655 Main Street, Saco, Maine
Remodeled in 1918 by John Calvin Stevens,
SAVED from Demolition in the Winter of 2001.
1918 photographs by John Calvin Stevens, courtesy of Earle Shettleworth, Jr. and MHPC.
We sincerely thank all of the dedicated people that helped save the Garland House, above, from demolition. The University of New England (UNE) is going to adaptively reuse this historic building, preserving it intact on its historic knoll in front of the new Medical Center building to be built later in 2001. The Garland House will be the new Medical Center's reception area and offices. We will post pictures updating the future design as it is being built.
We would especially like to thank Earle Shettleworth, Jr., Director of Maine Historic Preservation Commission; Roxanne Eflin, Director of Maine Preservation; Director Wendy Nicholas and Field Officer Cristina Prochilo of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and John V. Goff, Director of Historic Salem, Inc. We would also like to thank Steve Corey, Frank Donahue, and all our other concerned neighbors; everyone who wrote to city and UNE officials; the members of the Saco Planning Board and Saco Historic Preservation Commission, Saco Councilor Mark Johnston, Planning Director Bob Hamblen and Development Director Peter Morelli, and Saco City Attorney Tim Murphy. Last but not least, we are most grateful to UNE President Featherman, the Trustees, the Dean and Director of the Medical School, and the other officers of UNE for adopting this sensitive solution by Ledgewood Inc. and PDT architects, and preserving a national treasure for the generations to come.
Current Pictures: Garland House & Barn.